As well as improving cancer care, the development is an opportunity to deliver wider benefits to neighbouring communities and businesses in Merseyside and Cheshire through regeneration. We want to deliver real 'social value' to the communities we serve.
Through the project we will develop a number of initiatives which are focused on local people, investment in the local pound, skills development and training. We have grouped this into four areas.
Responsible employment and accessible opportunities for local people will be central to creating a resilient and skilled workforce. We will focus on:
- New and sustained job opportunities for local people
- Project-initiated apprenticeship and traineeship opportunities
- Accessible opportunities through agreed local recruitment routes
Education and skills
A full education enrichment project will focus on identified priority schools and will include:
- Developing existing and establishing new relationships with local colleges
- Using construction as a method of raising aspiration for high school students
- A minimum of 10 valuable and structured work placement opportunities
- Supporting and hosting careers events to prepare today's young people for tomorrow's jobs
Investing in the local pound will help create sustainable and resilient communities into the future. Our objectives will include:
- A commitment to a minimum of two local social enterprises to benefit from the project
- A local focused procurement policy which is accessible to local businesses and suppliers
- A 'meet the buyer' event to attract local businesses to the project
Engaging with the local community will help us to create a project which encompasses real community ownership. This includes:
- A minimum of one day a year volunteering on community-based initiatives from each member of the team
- Access to the Laing O'Rourke Transforming the Future Fund for local community projects
- Regular community-faced meetings to keep local people informed of the project's progress
- We are interested to hear what you think and any ideas you have which will help create social sustainability through the Transforming Cancer Care project.